Perth Places


Mercer Family and Perth Lade

“Behold the arms of the Mercers are Three mill rynds, three geid balls, with glittering star, To let the world know that their ancient race Possess’d three mills, for many ages space In pleasant Perth, near situate the Tay, Which mills Perth keeps unto this present day. Three balss next […]


Perthshire ~ Buildings of Interest

Forteviot – “A Pictish and Scottish Royal Centre. The Royal centre of Forteviot in Strathearn, Perthshire is one of the famous early medieval sites in Scotland, traditionally regarded as a Royal capital.” See Forteviot by Nick Aitchison, Tempus Publications Ltd. Methven and Logielamond Parish Church – Church Road, Methven – Built […]


Abernethy and Pitlochry

Atholl Palace Hotel and Museum – Pitlochry – Positioned over Pitlochry and Strathtummel this H-plan chateau was designed by Andrew Helton Jnr and built between 1874 and 1878. It has had various roles – Hydropathic Centre, Temporary School (during WWI) and today a hotel. A museum also exists within the […]


Alyth, Blairgowrie, and Coupar Angus

Abbey Church – Queen Street, Coupar Angus – Before this church was built this site housed one of the greatest medieval abbeys in Scotland. In tribute to this past John Carver the architect of the church designed it in the 12th century gothic style. Its’ construction took place between 1859 […]


Kinnoull, Gannochy, and Bridgend

Kinnoull Aisle and Monument – Dundee Road – The Aisle is home to one of the earliest articles of funery art in Scotland, an intricate stone monument to the 1st Earl of Kinnoull (erected in 1635). The Earl was a courtier, Kings Chancellor, industrialist and politician and the monument reflects […]


Monasteries and Chapels of Perth

The Dominicans or Blackfriars – Order founded by St Dominic of Spain (1170-1221). The Dominican Friary at Perth was founded by Alexander II in 1231. Wife of Robert II, Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan buried in chapel. Wolf of Badenoch did penance at Blackfriars for his burning of Elgin Cathedral. In […]


Friarton Bridge

Friarton Bridge began to be constructed in 1975. The estimated cost was approximately £6 million. The final cost was approximately £8 million. Eight pairs of reinforced concrete pillars carry the deck. The nine spans of the bridge vary in length from 63m to 174m which is the river span. The navigation […]


Perth Libraries ~ a potted history

First library in the county at Innerpeffray (1664). Perth library service begins 1784. In the 19th Century most individual parishes had their own private book collections. Institutes such as the Mechanics Institute owned their own libraries. Public Libraries Act of 1853 important turning-point. Archibald Sandeman bequest of the 1890s leads […]


The Mercat Cross

In 1651 troops under the command of Oliver Cromwell removed a Mercat Cross from the High Street in Perth using the stone to build his citadel (Oliver’s Mount) on the South Inch. The cross is said to have been a large structure. In 1669 a new Mercat cross of elaborate […]


Perth Bridge ~ Smeaton’s Bridge

This nine-arched 270 metre bridge was designed by John Smeaton in 1772. A key communication link to the town, Perth Bridge was widened in 1869. Of note are the flood level inscriptions under the bridge on the North Inch side. The 1993 floods were only surpassed by that of 1818 […]