Church yard and war memorial – Freestone Celtic cross. Unveiled by Duke of Atholl, Lord Lieutenant of Perthshire – handsome cross at Aberdalgie – the monument erected by the parishioners in memory of the 12 men of the parish who fell in the war – c. 29 November 1920.
Taybridge Road – Black Watch memorial – sandstone sculpture by W. Birnie Rhind (1887) includes large statue of a Black Watch Soldier and regimental battle honours.
“THE BLACK WATCH MEMORIAL / THE REGIMENT / THE ‘HIGHLAND WATCH’ (OR SIMPLY ‘THE WATCH’ WAS ESTABLISHED FOLLOWING THE ISSUE OF / COMMISSIONS FROM KING CHARLES II IN 1667 FOR CERTAIN CLAN CHIEFS TO RAISE INDEPENDENT / COMPANIES ‘TO BE A CONSTANT GUARD FOR SECURING THE PEACE IN THE HIGHLANDS’ AND ‘TI WATCH UPON THE BRAES’ / THE DARK TARTANS WORN BY THE MEN OF THESE COMPANIES TO DISTINGUISH THEM FROM THE / ‘RED SOLDIERS’ LED TO THEM BECOMING KNOWN AS FREICEADAN DUBH OF THE ‘THE BLACK WATCH’ / THISE COMPANIES DISBANDED IN 1717 AND STARTED UP AGAIN IN 1725. / STARTING OUT AS THE 43RD REGIMENT OF THE LINE IT BECAME THE 42ND HIGHLNAD REGIMENT IN 1749 / ON THE REDUCTION OF THE ORIGINAL 42ND REGIMENT / IN 1970 THE REGIMENT WAS GIVEN THE FREEDOM OF THE BURGH OF ABERFEIDY / THE MONUMENT / THE BLACK WATCH MEMORIAL WAS UNVIELED ON THE 14TH NOVEMBER 1887 BY GAVIN-MARQUIS OF BREADALBANE / (…) HAVE BEEN SET UP ON THE ACTUAL SITE OF THE ORIGINAL ‘MUSTER’ IN 1740 ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE RIVER. / HOWEVER THAT AREA IS SUBJECT TO FLOODING AND THE ‘NEAREST PRACTICABLE SITE’ WAS CHOSEN INSTEAD. / (…) DEPICTING A SOLDIER WEARING THE OLD REGIMENTAL UNIFORM COST ABOUT £500 (RAISED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION) / (…) LIGHTENING SPLIT THE STRUCTURE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. THE REPAIRS AND INSTALLATION OF A LIGHTENING CONDUCTOR COST £200.”
“Grassed area off the B846 Road that goes across the River Tay via the (General) Wade Bridge. Cairn stone 70’ – Black Watch soldier on a cairn. “Memorial was hit by lightning causing the memorial to be split from top to bottom. The memorial was repaired and fitted with a lightning conductor at a cost of £200.” Built c. 1887, unveiled 14 November 1887 by Marquis of Breadalbane – public subscription £500. Lengthy inscription detailing the history of the Black Watch.
A827 – Bridgend War Memorial – ‘1922 classical arch memorial commemorating WW1 and WW2 and forming gateway to Den of Moness. Stugged and squared red sandstone rubble with matching ashlar dressings. Deep rock-faced base course. Moulded arch with relief carved crossed swords and shield to each spandrel, flanking piers with inset tablets each inscribed with Roll of Honour, smaller 1939 and 1945 tablets below those of WW1 with relief carved dates 1914 and 1919 above, all surmounted by cornice and deep stepped blocking course. Flanking buttress-type walls each with stepped cope and decorative finial; 2-leaf ironwork gates.’ Unveiled c. 3 June 1922. Gateway to park – lychgate 20’ by 30’ by 6’. 1914-1919: “For King and Country” – Names “Air Son Righ Ims Duthaich” – Names. 1939-1945: names. WWI – 15 names. WWII – 65 names. Also, lists some casualties who perished after 1919 and 1945.
Main Street (School Wynd)– war memorial (Mercat Cross) by Mills & Shepherd (1920) in form of Market Cross, stepped octagonal base, chamfered shaft, coats of arms on capital. Elevation S. N. M. R. – stands on the site of the former Town House; formerly listed as War Memorial Cross.
Abernethy Golf Club
Granite cross, centre of the ninth fairway: ‘Celtic style wheel cross on tapering shaft and square plinth.’
Main Street – cenotaph of pink granite (c. 1920).
Sundial on raised platform (both stone) “Tyne Tryeth” – Names – “To commemorate the men of Almond Valley who fell in the War 1914-1919.” ‘Sundial set into front of shaft of stone column. Column is stepped at top, names and inscription carved into shaft underneath sundial. Wider stone base. Sundial consists of stone tablet with decorative carving at top and inscription in incised lettering. Gnomen is at 45 degree angle and casts shadow mostly in one direction. Time lines also incised at angle. WWI – 43 names.
Airlie Street – war memorial by James Riddel (1921) includes statue in bronze by Kellock Brown featuring a sword-wielding woman and the figure of Victory. ‘Seated female bronze on ashlar plinth with bronze panels.’ Bamff Road. Sculptured cast figure on stone pedestal –“shield at base of plinth”. Sculptured cast/figure. Stone pedestal with metal figure.
Market Square – South African war memorial in polished granite (c.1905) featuring an obelisk in Neo-Egyptian style – w. boundary of Market Square. The memorial is to the Earl of Airlie (Lieutenant Colonel 12th Lancers) killed in action at Diamond Hill, South Africa 11 June 1900 age 44; Nigel Neis Ramsay (Lieutenant 2nd Battalion Royal Highlanders) killed at Magersfontein 11 December 1899 age 28; and Charles Wedderburn Ogilvy (Trooper of the Fife and Forfar Light-Horse 20th Company, I.Y.) died at sea age 38 on his way to South Africa – Second Boer War. The monument was unveiled by the Marquis of Breadalbane c. 5 August 1901.
WWI cairn unveiled Prince of Wales 1 October 2006: “Alfred Anderson, who died in 2005 aged 109, was the last surviving participant in the 1914 Western Front Christmas Truce. He was a veteran of the Black Watch.”
‘Obelisk on plinth framed by pillows.’
St Ninian’s Road – St Ninian’s (Episcopal) – memorial tablet in bronze with relief of Lieutenant Nigel Neis Ramsay d. 1899 Black Watch.
A822: Stone cross on LHS when driving south. “In memory of the men of Ardoch Parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919 ‘Their name liveth for evermore’ Names World War 1939-1945. Names.” ‘Celtic cross on stone plinth of rough cut stones with inset tablets bearing names, on a square stone base in the centre of the paved area.’ WWI – 22 names. WWII – 9 names. ‘Square base surmounted by stone black tapered plinth , tapering shaft and Celtic cross. A tablet is set into the front face of the plinth with WWI names. The WWII names have been added to the blockwork of the base of the plinth. The lettering is in black. Memorial is set within a small landscaped garden. Celtic knotwork design is carved on the front of the cross with an inverted sword in the centre.
High Street – Former Auchterarder Parish Church – WW2 memorial gateway by R M Mitchell (1948) features a Celtic cross finial and regimental coats of arms. “Erected in grateful and reverent memory of the sons of Auchterarder who laid down their lives to save their country, in the Great War, 1914-1919. The City is on a hill, cannot be hid, and they shall keep the glory and honour of the nation.” Names – 81 men. At the side of the church in Main Street at the side of the town hall.
Aberdeen Granite Cross beside village street. “In memory of the Mid-Atholl men who fell in the Great War 1914-1919.” “In memory of the Mid-Atholl men who fell in world war 1939-1945.” Names. “Lean cu dluth Ricliu-do shinn sia.” WWI – 36 names; WWII – 6 names. Unveiled 14 August 1921 by the Duke of Atholl; cleaned in 1990. In small garden surrounded by railings. Cross.
’30 foot cross in small garden surrounded by railings: “In memory of the Mid-Athollmen who fell in the Great War 1914-1919.” Names. An additional plaque: “In memory of Mid-Athollmen who fell in world war 1939-1945.” Names. ‘Celtic cross on plinth bearing WWI names on three sides, and two separate additional WWII name tablets, the second only bearing one name; below on the front a two-stepped base with a railing fence with a small flight of stairs leading up to it from the pavement.’ WWI – 36 names; WWII – 7 names.
Cairneyhill Road and Main Street – ‘rustic cairn’ war memorial (1921)
Bendochy Parish Church – war memorial gateway (lych-gate) by Reginald Fairlie, architect (1921 or 1922) featuring ‘Pelican in Piety’ carving – Markethill – ‘stugged ashlar with polished dressings simple round arch with pelican panel above.
B8079 – Blair Atholl memorial – ‘paved hemicycle with standing stone: bronze plaques c. 1920.’
Village Square – stone of remembrance: “In memory 1914-1919” Names. “In memory of those who gave their lives in the Second World War.” Names. WWI – 47 names. WWII – 15 names. Unveiled 18 May 1924 by the Duke of Atholl.
Blair Atholl & Struan Parish Church – WWII memorial – Book of Remembrance – 15 names. Bronze Plaque 2’ by 4’ by 6’’ WWI – 24 names. Unveiled 16 October 1923 by the Duke of Atholl.
Blair Castle WWI Hospital – display cabinet in cafeteria – bronze plaque 260 mm by 250 mm: “To record the use of this building as an auxiliary hospital during the Great War and the thanks of the Scottish Branch British Red Cross Society to the generous donor April 1919.” ‘The plaque is in a glass display case along with the relics of the Duke of Atholl’s family’s WWI service.’ There is an identical plaque in Dunrobin Castle.
Blairgowrie & Rattray
Allan Street/Wellmeadow Gardens – war memorial by Reginald Fairlie (1920) ; market cross design featuring a ‘Pelican in Piety’. In front of the war memorial is a bronze statue by sculptor Alexander Carrick, a soldier with folded arms. ‘3-stage pelican-finialled, octagonal WW1 memorial with 2-stage WW2 memorial. Ashlar. The WW1 memorial: 7 octagonal steps lead to square base and tall plinth with inset bronze panels, to NE with “Blairgowrie and Rattray Roll of Honour” … relief carved “1914-1919”.’ The WW2 memorial: ‘low square plinth projecting from base of WW1 memorial at SE steps. Bronze panel with Roll of Honour to each face, surmounted by continuous ribbon frieze worded “Also in the Second World War” “1939-1945” and surmounted by full-size bronze figure of mourning soldier. Further inscription at base worded “Korean War 1950-53”.’
Bridge of Balgie
Glen Lyon NN570460: Cairn of rough-hewn stone – tablet bears the name of inscription and names. Whole stands at roadside up a number of steps.”
Bridge of Earn
Station Road – by the public hall and institute ‘a red sandstone Celtic cross war memorial’ c. 1920.
Bridge of Gaur
Braes of Rannoch Church – ‘on the w. wall, a stone war memorial of c. 1920, an image niche containing the figure of a soldier with arms reversed.’
Bridgend War Memorial – ‘1922 classical arch memorial commemorating WW1 and WW2 and forming gateway to Dens of Moness. Stugged and squared red sandstone rubble with matching ashlar dressings. Deep rock-faced base course. Moulded arch with relief carved crossed swords and shield to each spandrel, flanking pieces with inset tablets each inscribed with Roll of Honour, smaller 1939 and 1945 tablets below those of WW1 with relief carved dates 1914 and 1919 above, all surmounted by cornice and deep stepped blocking course. Flan king buttress-type walls each with stepped cope and decorative finial; 2-leaf ironwork gates.’ Unveiled 3 June 1922.
A984 – Caputh War Memorial – ‘Gothic cross, ashlar on circular stepped base. Low screen wall with panels of names of the fallen.’ “To the memory of the men of Caputh who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914-1919.” “Their name liveth for evermore.” ‘Stone cross surmounting stepped stone base; below – stone wall bears names of the fallen two-stepped stone platform.’ 51 names.
Caputh Parish Church – Brass plaque: “To the glory of God and in memory of Archibald David Younger son colonel Kinloch of Gourdie born September 1869. He joined the volunteer Hotchkiss Detachment of the Natal artillery at Pietmaritzburg October 1899 and was killed in the attack on Wagon Hill at Ladysmith January 6th 1900 whilst gallantly defending his gun under a hail of bullets with an unfortified position against the Boers for his Queen and country erected by his soldiers and sisters.” 1220 mm by 737 mm.
‘Stone cross surmounting pediment of rough-hewn stone names on tablet on pediment on black lettering. Single step platform.’ “Cargill, 1914-1918, In memoriam. Names”
North of Village Hall: ‘Raised ground north of the village hall.’ “1914-1919 Clunie Parish. In proud memory of Names who gave their lives for King and Country. 1939-45. Names.” ‘Stone cairn: tall tapering cairn of rough-hewn stones. It has a small rectangular tablet set on the front face with the dedication and names. It is within an area of trees and rather overgrown ground.’ WWI – 9 names. WWII – 2 names.
Clunie Churchyard: United Free Church. “ Jesus said: blessed are the pure in heart. Such was Isobel Hislop wife of Rev. Alex Aytoun Young. She died 18th Oct. 1905 aged 47. Soul of my soul. I shall meet thee again. And with God be the rest. Alexander Aytoun Young M.A. 2nd Lieut. 2nd Balck Watch Killed at the Battle of Mushaidie, Mesopotamia, 14th March 1917 aged 22. Alexander Aytoun Young Minister of this parish for 36 years. Died 19th August 1927, aged 74.” ‘Addition to a family memorial. The lettering is in white and surrounded by an inscribed border.’
War Memorial Institute – Bridgend, Dalgincross, Field of Refuge – built R. Ewan (1895) as Bridgend Temperance Hotel, adapted as institute after WW1 … “War Memorial Institute” in good cast-iron lettering.
Stone Cross: “To the Glory of God and in Proud and Grateful Remembrance of the men of the parish who fought and fell for right and freedom in the Great War 1914-1919.” – Names. “Mighty be Sacrifice.” ‘Wheel cross of stone surmounting three-staged tapering stone plinth. Inscription and names on each of the three tiers of plinth.’ WWI – 46 names; WWII – 12 names.
Abbey Church, Queen Street – ‘a war memorial window (a Knight receiving the Crown of Life) by James Ballantine (1920).
Coupar Angus Public School: “… and grateful remembrance of the former pupils of this school who fell in the Great War 1914-1918.” – Names. Tablets and stone wall. ‘Curved wall with tablet or plaques. Either side of wall is doorway. In front of curved wall are wrought iron gates.”
Comrie Street – ‘Lorimerean war memorial of c. 1920’ – ‘cornice of thistles and coats of arms.’
Comrie Road – ‘War memorial with boundary walls, railings and gate.’ ‘Peter MacGregor Chalmers, architect, Peter Crear, Crieff builder, 1921, 3-stage cross finialled octagonal WW1 memorial with WW2 inscription. Cullaloe stone 24’ 6” high.’ Memorial: battered octagonal base each with cast bronze plate containing names of fallen, surmounted by relief carved band with inscription “In proud and grateful memory to those who fell in the Great Wars 1914-18 1939-45”. Stepped 2nd stage reducing to slender octagonal shaft banded with regimental emblems, symbols of the colonies and Nursing Services giving way to heavily carved capital bearing Scottish Arms, St Andrews Cross, Arms of Perth County, and Burgh of Crieff, alternating with Scottish thistles. Whole surmounted by cross. Boundary walls and ironwork railings and gate. Unveiled by Major General Bannatine Allason 20 November 1921. The memorial commemorates 168 men and 2 women (members of the Army Nursing Services).’ The inscription has been altered to include WW2. ‘Junction of Burrell Street and Comrie Road – town centre – stone sandstone cross and bronze plaques – tall tapered octagonal base surmounted by octagonal shaft with carved capital and Latin Cross. Names on cast bronze plaques placed on the side of the base. Iron railings surround the memorial with entrance gate on the roadside. On four facets of the cross are carved the Scottish Arms, the St Andrews Cross, the arms of the county of Perth and the arms of the Burgh of Crieff. The other facets of the capital have the Scottish thistle carved on them. Two carved bands on the shaft bearing the badges of the regiments most represented on the Roll of Honour and designs symbolising the colonies and nursing services.’ 250 Names. Also, Korean War (1950-3) – 1 name; Malayan Emergency (1948-60) – 2 names; WWI – 170 names; WWI civilians – 2 names. The WWI plaque is in poor condition. Unveiled 20 November 1921 by Major-General Bannatine-Allason.
Perth Road – St Columba’s (Episcopal) Church war memorial c. 1920 with gate piers, gates, and boundary walls. ‘Celtic cross WW1 red sandstone. Carved inscription “1914” “1918”. The cross richly carved with interlaced patterns, pierced wheel and centre flower.’ A modern site occupies the site of the 1875 St Columba’s (Episcopal) Church.
Burrell Street – ‘fixed to s. gable of No. 19 … a carved early Victorian heraldic achievement of the royal coat of arms, its base bearing the painted inscription 6/7 BN THE BLACK WATCH.’
Morrisons Academy: Formal photograph of some old boys killed during WWI – 29 names. Also, oak board of military distinctions 660 mm by 340 mm bearing names of those who have won military distinctions. Includes Victoria Cross, DSO, DFC, MC, Legion of Honour, Croix de Guerre, MM, and those mentioned in despatches. Also, a WWII memorial: oak board 660 mm by 340 mm bearing names of fallen in gilt lettering – 31 names. “During the Second World War 1939-1945 three masters and three hundred and twenty seven old boys are known to have served in His Majesty’s Forces. Of those, one master and thirty old boys have fallen and their names are recorded.” – Names.
Crook of Devon
Main Street – ‘in front of the Institute war memorial of c. 1920, a craggy stone with a foliage-carved panel.’
Dalnaglar Castle – ‘in front of the entrance, a stone statue of Field-Marshall Lord Clyde dressed in kilt and cloak by J. H. Foley c. 1860.
Dunkeld WMA still to do!
Dunkeld Cathedral – ‘a white marble monument by J. G. Lough 1847 to Major-General Sir Robert Henry Dick – relief showing Dick’s death at the Battle of Sobraon. The monument was originally in Logierait Parish Church 1848 until movement to Dunkeld Cathedral in 1854.’ ‘A white marble bas relief within a stone Gothic-style tabernacle. The central figure is of a Highland soldier with his dead and wounded comrades, flags, cannon etc. at his feet. The theme is heroic sacrifice. Many of the memorials, like this one, were executed to a very high standard.’ 2156 mm by 280 mm.
Dunkeld Cathedral – Black Watch Monument (42nd Highlanders) in white marble by John Steell 1872 – relief Black Watch officers ‘searching for a missing comrade among tumbled corpses.’ Based upon lines in the Ingoldsby Legends: ‘But a sombre sight is a battlefield/To the sad survivors sorrowing eyes.’ ‘Ceremony of unveiling the monument which has been erected in Dunkeld Cathedral by the officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the regiment who fell in the war from the creation of the regiment to the close of the Indian Mutiny … monument in the vestibule of the Cathedral, at the east end of the choir. ‘It is the largest mural monument ever erected in Scotland. The architect is William Steell, son of John Steell, sculptor.’ A detachment of 42nd Highlanders perform the ceremony – the monument was handed over to care of the Duke of Atholl. Other troops taking part in the ceremony: Royal Perthshire Rifle Militia and Athole Highlanders. ‘The top base bears the words: “In memory of South African heroes” and the lower base “Erected by public subscription”.’ Unveiled c. 3 April 1872.
“THE OFFICERS NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND PRIVATE SOLDIERS/ FROM THE CREATION OF THE REGIMENT TO THE CLOSE OF THE INDIAN MUTINY 1859/ THE 10 INDEPENDENT COMPANIES OF THE FREAGADAN DUBH OR BLACK WATCH/ WERE FORMED INTO A REGIMENT ON THE/ 25TH OCTOBER 1739 AND THE FIRST MUSTER TOOK PLACE MAY 1740, IN A/ FIELD BETWEEN TAYBRIDGE AND ABERFELDY/ HERE `MONG THE HILLS THAT NURSED EACH HARDY GAEL OUR NATIVE MARBLE/ TELLS THE SOLDIERS TALE/ ART’S MAJIC POWER EACH PERISHED FRIEND RECALLS AND HEROES/ HAUNT THESE OLD CATHEDRAL WALLS/ ERECTED BY THE OFFICERS OF THE CORPS 1872/ FONTENOY FLANDERS TICONDEROGA MARTINIQUE GUADELOUPE HAVANNAH EGYPT CORUNNA FUENTES D’ONOR PYRENEES NIVELLE NIVE ORTHES TOULOUSE PENINSULA WATERLOO ALMA SEVASTOPOL LUCKNOW”
Black Watch Training Centre – High Street – built 1950
Scottish Horse Regiment Museum – High Street – next to Black Watch Training Centre – mid-nineteenth century building.
5 Chalmers Street/Perth Road – war memorial – ‘1919 5-step octagonal base Celtic freestone cross on rock podium with inscribed tablets.’
Stone cross and granite tablets. ‘These four tablets were added in memory of those who died in the war.’ Tron Square? “1939-1945 erected by the grateful inhabitants of Dunning and District in grateful memory of the men from this neighbourhood who fell in the Great War”. ‘Rough-hewn plinth surmounted by a tapering shaft and Celtic cross. Dedicatory tablets set into four sides of plinth with additional tablets for WWII placed above the WWI tablets on the shoulders of the plinth. The whole stands on a large five-stepped base and is set within a paved area.’ ‘Celtic knotwork design carved front face’ WWI – 36 names; WWII – 13 names. ‘Other faces names’ ‘Front steps bottom to top 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918. Stone cross – granite tablets. ‘Rough-hewn plinth surmounted by a tapering shaft and Celtic cross. Dedicatory tablets set into four sides of the plinth with additional tablets for WWII placed above the WWI tablets on the shoulders of the plinth. The whole stands on a large five stepped base and is set within a paved area.’ ‘Celtic knotwork design carved on the front face of the cross.’ See Courier & advertiser 3 July 2004 – article on Cameron Walker who is commemorated on the memorial.’ See tinyurl.com/kub94v
Errol Parish Church – WWII memorial window – ‘David Pouring Out as an Offering to God the Water Brought him by his Soldiers from Bethlehem; the Pelican in Piety; the Phoenix’ 1947
War memorial, churchyard and gate. Celtic Cross, granite, c. 1920.
Glenalmond College WMA STILL TO DO!
Memorial Library – ‘commemorating Old Boys killed in the South African War’ by A. G. Heiton 1904-6.
The Chapel – ‘Gothic oak dado designed as a First World War memorial to J. Ninian Comper (1922).
The Chapel – South African War memorial by A. G. Heiton executed by James Powell & Sons (1905). ‘Mosaic of three arches, the outer two enclosing the names of the fallen and the interlocked triangles emblematic of the college’s dedication to the Holy Trinity; at the centre a figure of St Andrew.’
Rough-hewn stone column surmounted by small boulder. Metal plaques on shaft of column. Tapering stone base.
‘Tapering obelisk of rough-hewn stone surmounting tapering stone pedestal. Stone pedestal bears names and inscription on tablets in black lettering. Dates of wars in relief on shaft of obelisk.’ 30’ stone obelisk. “1914 1919 The men of Strathtay & Grandtully who gave their lives in the war. Names. 1939-1945. Names.” WWI -21; WWII -8.
‘Stone Cross surmounting square-set stone pedestal three-stepped stone base.’
Kenmore Parish Church: Church of Scotland. “To the Glory of God and in the sacred memory of the men of Kenmore Parish who fell in the Great War. Names. ‘Their name liveth for evermore’ Air son dia os duthaich. [For our God and country]. 1914 1919. 25’ granite cross. ‘Small Celtic style wheel cross. Crossed sword at the base. WWI – 36. Unveiled 22 May 1921.
Stone pillar/column. “Our glorious dead 1914-1919” names “Their name liveth for evermore” “Our Glorious dead 1939-1945”. Names. ‘Stone column, rounded at top with metal plaques attached to front. Plaques bear inscription and names of fallen of WWI. Memorial stands on stone platform. Memorial is surrounded by further wall and iron gates.’ WWI – 23 names; WWII – 3 names.
War memorial unveiled 29 October 1920.
Killin Parish Church: Stained glass memorial within the church – WWI and WWII. Scroll alongside window.
Beside A827 approaching Killin from the west: memorial 1914-1919 “To the Glory of God and in Honoured Memory of” Names “1939-1945” Names. ‘Kilted Highland soldier with full kilt and slung rifle, on rough stone base. In low walled enclosure.’ WWI – 6; WWII – 28. Sculptor Alexander Carrick (check).
Kilspindie & Rait Parish Church. The War Memorial (First World War and Second World War) is in form of a wine red painted wooden Lychgate at the entrance too the Parish Church with two grey granite tablets into stone pillars on the road side of the Lychgate – dedication to the left, names to the right, which was unveiled in September 1921 by General Sir Francis Davis, Commander-in-Chief of the Forces in Scotland (Dundee Courier, 7 September 1921, Perthshire Advertiser, 17 September 1921).
Kinclaven Churchyard War Memorial Lychgate ‘Round arched rubble with slated roof and w.i. gates, 1919, Reginald Fairlie, architect. ‘Above entrance 1914 1919 Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name.” tablet one: “In proud and loving memory of the men of this Parish who gave their lives for right, freedom and honour.” Names. Tablet two: Names “Faithful unto Death.” Stone and wrought iron. ‘Stone lychgate with decorative wrought-iron gates two dedicatory tablets placed on the left and right hand sides of the inside of the gate and additional inscription carved above the entrance.’ WWI – 14. Unveiled 1 August 1920 by the Duke of Atholl. By Reginald Fairlie.
War memorial. Cairn: “In grateful memory of the men of this District who gave their lives in the war of 1914-1918.” Names. “Bnasaich iad air ar son-ne” Stone tablets and cairn. WWI – 28; WWII – 15.
On A294 between Pitlochry and Kirkmichael: granite. Small Celtic style wheel cross. WWI – 9.
Main Street – War memorial c. 1920 ‘red sandstone pillar with a blocky Greek cross-xxx’ and Celtic cross relief. 38 Castle Road – c. 1920 war memorial ‘pink polished ashlar blocks forming slightly tapered pier, set upon square plinth and wide octagonal base, surmounted by mannered, cuboid cross.’ ‘Aggressively modernistic war memorial.’ Ames. “For the Brave and to commemorate the names of those honoured in this parish of Longforgan who fell in the Great War 1914-1919” ‘Stone column – square set stone pillar with inscription carved on shaft of column. Column stands on square-set pediment which bears WWI inscription octagonal base.’ WWI and WWII.
‘Stone cross surmounting three-tiered stone-base. Set back from the road and surrounded by low wall and metal fencing.’
Stone Obelisk. ‘Madderty Parish War memorial xxxx 1914-1919. Names. 1939-1945 Names. “Their Name Liveth for Evermore”. Metal plaque. ‘Obelisk of rough-hewn stone. Metal plaque on shaft bears names and description in black lettering.’ WWI and WWII.
Ardler Road leads to Victory park, a cricket field entered through a rounded-headed war memorial arch of hammer-dressed stone under a gambrel roof, designed by John Bruce & Sons in 1921.’
Arch: “In grateful memory 1939-45” ‘Stone tablets. Large stone archway topped with tiled roof.’ Set into columns of the archway the names and inscription. WWI – 16 names; WWII – 8 names (?).’
Pillar/column. “In glorious memory of those sons of Methven who gave their lives for their King and Country in the Great War.” Names. ‘Column set into stone tablet inset in column bears names and inscription. Low columns at either side of main memorial bears dates of WWI.
Obelisk – memorial stone (local stone). 6.1 m by 6 m square base. ‘Surmounted by bursting grenade with flanking walls bearing WWII panels.’ WWI – 43 names; WWII – 22 names. Unveiled 20 November 1921 by Lieutenant-General Sir Francis J. Davies.
Monzievaird and Strowan Parish Church – ‘south side of the graveyard, the War Memorial, designed by Reginald Fairlie and executed by Alexander Carrick in 1920. Square based of Cullaloe sandstone ashlar with inscription tablets of Kemnay granite. On the front of the stepped top, a relief of the Pelican in Piety; bronze ringed cross filial.’
Kirkmichael Road, A924 – c. 1920 – ‘Celtic Cross war memorial, granite battered base with names of fallen preceded: “From this district, who gave their lives for their King and Country in the Great War 1914-1918” “Their name liveth for evermore” “Cha till lad tuilleah”. Battered shaft giving way to Celtic Cross with centre boss.
Main Street – Cross on Main Street towards end of town at junction with minor road. “In memory of the men of Muthill who gave their king and country during the Great War 1914-1919 and in thankfulness to God for the victory their valour helped to win. Let those who came after them see to it their names are not forgotten.” War Cross – 31 names.
St John’s Kirk: ‘In 1918 a public meeting decided that, as a memorial to the men of the city and county of Perth who had been killed in the First World War, St John’s Kirk should be restored to its medieval appearance and the interior reconstructed as a single church. Robert S. Lorimer was appointed architect of the work, partly a scholarly relaxation and partly a celebration of the quality of early twentieth century craftsmanship was begun in 1923 and completed in 1925.’
Within the St John’s Kirk: ‘Crimean war monument to men of the 90th Light Infantry (Perthshire Volunteers) on the east wall of the south choir aisle by Samuel Manning Junior, 1857-8 of marble, with high reliefs of a mourning private soldier and officer flanking the inscription panel. “In memory of their comrades who fell during the Crimean War, 1854-1855; and, as a tribute to their gallantry, this monument is erected by the officers of H.M’s 90th Light Infantry Perthshire Volunteers AD MDCCCLVII”. A white marble tablet and a Sicilian marble plinth. Four names.
Within the St John’s Kirk: In the north west recess of the Shrine Chapel, war memorial designed by Lorimer and executed by Donaldson & Burns, 1923-6. Painted stone inscription panel set in a moulded frame, its sides crossed by hands bearing the names of the theatres of war, the top carved with two angels who hold a shield bearing a Saltire; a base, the royal arms.
Within the St John’s Kirk: North nave aisle: east bay – Two soldiers of the Black Watch with St Michael and St Andrew.’
Atholl Crescent: ‘To the NE, near the bank of the Tay, 51st Highland Division Monument by Alan B. Herst, 1995. Bronze statue of a girl handing a rose to a piper of the Division. On the sides of granite pedestal, bronze reliefs of battlefield scenes. Also, Co-operative War memorial and SPCW memorial. Further to the NE, the 90th Light Infantry (Perthshire Volunteers) Monument by David Beverdige & Son, 1895. Polished granite obelisk on two-stage Ægypto-Greek pedestal.’
St Ninian’s – Commemorative Memorial – war memorial c. 1875.
St Ninian’s – Memorial window and brass tablet unveiled at St Ninian’s Cathedral c. 6 May 1903. The memorial is by Hart, Sons, Poard & Company (Ltd) of London – “To the glory of God and in memory of the following officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) who fell in the South African Campaign, 1899-1900-1901-1902-1903. This brass is erected by the women of the diocese and by friends of the regiment.” Includes Wauchope.
Atholl Street – St Andrew’s and St Steven Parish Church Hall – war memorial.
St Stephen’s United Free Church – ‘a commemorative service to dedicate and unveil a war memorial to the members of St Stephen’s UF Church, Perth, 32 in number who fell in the Great War … brass tablets set in a beautifully carved panel of oak, the names of the fallen occupying the centre place’ – c. 17 May 1921.
St John’s East – A beautiful stained glass window and mural brass tablet, erected to the members and adherents of St John’s East who fell in the war … the tablet bears the name of 28 men.’ Unveiled c. 17 May 1921.
St John’s East – A Black Watch memorial unveiled c. 27 February 1905: ‘To the officers, non-commissioned officers, and men of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) who fell serving in the South African War’ – north wall.
Jeanfield Recreation Ground – unveiling of fountain to commemorate men from the district who fell in the Great War. Names of 70 men inscribed in panels. Unveiled by F. Norie Miller c. 4 October 1920.
West United Free Church – unveiling of memorial – brass tablet built in the vestibule of the church c. 18 October 1920.
Kinnoull Parish Church – unveiled – marble and bronze mural tablet to the memory of 26 members and adherents of the congregation who fell in the Great War. Unveiled c. 21 March 1921.
St Mark’s Church – brass memorial tablet with the names of 13 men unveiled c. 21 March 1921.
Railway Station – Bronze Plaque – “To the immortal memory of the Perth General Station Join Staff who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919” – Names.
Balhousie Castle and Grounds: A memorial to the Black Watch soldiers who died in Iraq – Cross of Remembrance –“To the Glory of God and in Proud Memory of those soldiers of 1st Battalion the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) who gave their lives in service of their country. ‘Their names liveth for evermore’ 2003 – Names – 2004 – Names.” Caithness Stone 10’ Celtic Cross Iraq (2003-2009) 9 Names unveiled c. 7 April 2008.
Balhousie Castle and Grounds: A stone of remembrance. “The Black Watch commemorates in this memorial home the 8000 officers non-commissioned officers and men of the regiment who gave their lives for King and country in the Great War 1914-1918. Their names liveth for evermore.” Rectangular stone of remembrance with badge of regiment over inscription.
Balhousie Castle and Grounds: 1st Battalion Black Watch – Names of 12 soldiers incorporated into a tablecloth of intricate crochet work – fabric – WWI – see Perthshire Courier 10 November 2007.
Balhousie Castle and Grounds: Stone of Remembrance – “The Black Watch commemorates in this memorial home the undying memory of the officers non-commissioned officers and men of the regiment who gave their lives for King and country in the world war 1939-1945 – Greater love hath no man.” WW2 – rectangular stone with regimental badge.
AK Bell Library – City of Perth Book of Remembrance – Golden Book or Roll of Honour. Front Page: “To the Glory of God and in Grateful memory of those of the city of Perth who fell in the World War 1939-1945.” Placed in a glass case – was Bowerswell Memorial Homes.
51 Atholl Road – 1922 further inscribed with memorial c. 1945, 3-stage Celtic Cross war memorial. Bull-faced Aberdeen granite approximately 20’ high. Panels with WW1 Roll of Honour, base with WW2 Roll of Honour.
A823 – Powmill, Moubray Village Hall – including war memorial and boundary walls ‘Timber chimneypiece to NW rising into classical pedimented timber war memorial with “Mowbray Hall memorial of Our Own Boys who fell” over frieze with six medallions each inscribed with name of the fallen; this surmounts large panel with “Roll of Honour/Powmill District and those associated with this Hall who served with the Armed Forces of the Crown during the war 1914-1918” and names of the fallen with further inscription at bottom right.’ ‘Fossoway War memorial Panel.’
1 km NE of Baledgarno. ‘At the W gable, a facsimile made in 1863 of the monument which had been erected c. 1840 in Malta to Graham Hay St Vincent de Ros Kinnaird , commander of HMS Rapid, †1838. Classical, with Roman, Doric corner columns and an urn finish.’
Opening of a hall gifted to Scone Parish Church in memory of Captain Alexander Macduff of the 1st Battalion of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders who was killed at Ypres in April 1915 – opening c. 18 October 1920.
Spittal of Glenshee
Glenshee Parish Church – on the north wall. “1914-1919. To the Glory of God and in honour of all from the parishes of Persie and Glenshee who served in the Great War and in memory of the following who fell.” Names. Bronze plaque. Granite backboard. ‘Rectangular plaque mounted onto a granite backboard. Inscription in relief with list of fallen in two columns. Decorative foliate border on the plaque.’ WWI – 27. Unveiled 11 September 1921. ‘This memorial is one of four identical ones erected around the parish due to the large geographical area covered by the parish. The other memorials are located in Persie Parish Church (now redundant), Cray United Free Church and Netherton Church.
Brown coloured stone pillar 30’ by 2.5’. ‘In small park at end of Loch Earn, across from main road at St Fillans.’ “Erected by the inhabitants of this district in commemoration of those who fell in 1914-1919. Their name liveth for evermore.” Names.
St Madoes & Kinfauns Pariah Church: Granite pink cross outside the entrance to the church. “To the memory of those from the parish of St Madoes who fell in the war 1914-1919. Names. Their name liveth for evermore.” ‘Celtic cross in pink granite, set on a rectangular plinth and two steps. The dedicatory inscription is engraved on the shaft of the cross, while the names are engraved on the front face of the plinth. An additional dedication is engraved on the front face of the first step.’ WWI – 12. Unveiled June 1921.
St Martins (Balbeggie)
Stone cross. ‘Wheel cross of stone surmounting tapering plinth. Inscription on shaft of cross. Names on plinth. Base of rough-hewn stone. Carving on head of cross. WWI – c. 15 names.
Perth Road – war memorial; Stanley – St Columba (Episcopal) – Perth Road – ‘A mission church, by Spiers & Company, 1898. ‘North of the church, the village war memorial of c. 1920 – stone statue of a killed soldier. Stone ‘figure of Scottish serviceman with kit and rifle hung over left shoulder. Figure surmounts stepped stone pediment. Top level ofn pediment is of smooth stone and bears plaque. Lower layer is rough-hewn and bears further plaque. Stepped base.’
Unidentified Road Junction: NN900530 – 30’ stone obelisk. “1914. 1919. The Men of Strathtay & Grandtully who gave their lives in the war. Names. 1939-1945. Names. ‘Tapering obelisk of rough-hewn stone surmounting tapering stone pedestal. Stone pedestal bears names and inscriptions on tablets in black lettering.’ ‘Dates of wars in relief on shaft of obelisk.’ WWI -21. WWII -8.
Parish Church war memorial window to woman who served in WW1 – stained glass window. Commonwealth War Grave.
Weem Parish Church: Stone cross and stone plinth. “1914-1919 To our immortal dead. Names. ‘Cha do thill ach an cliu’ Their fame alone has returned. Nothing returned but their fame. In grateful and everlasting remembrance of the boys from Weem and Killiechassie who died for their King and country in the Great War. 1939-45. Name.’ ‘Celtic cross on a tapering base set on a gravel surround and lawn. There is celtic knotwork on the cross with an inverted sword on ths shaft. The lettering is in black.’ WWI – 7. WWII – 1.