These notes are based on lectures given by Rhoda Fothergill – they were made by a local resident of Perth – Alan Darling – and have been passed to this website.
W. M. Mackenzie was the son of Alexander Mackenzie, a builder in Scone. William had three brothers and two sisters: William, David, James and Thomas became architects, David in Dundee and James in Liverpool. Thomas was in practice in Elgin and his son was A. Marshall Mackenzie, the architect of Crathie Church and Marischal College, Aberdeen
William M. Mackenzie designed many of the Free Churches – after the Disruption of 1843 including Errol, Glendoick, Meigle and Couper Angus. He was the City Architect of Perth from the 1820s onwards. His office was at 14 Charlotte Street but later at 5 George Street.
W. M. Mackenzie died 15th February 1856 aged 58 years. His business was continued by David Smart in 1858 to develop as Smart, Stewart and Mitchell. Latterly the practice was carried on by Mr James Morison, the architect responsible for the very fine restoration of King James VI Hospital in 1973.
W. M. Mackenzie’s work included:
1820 Megginch Castle additions
1824 Congregational Church (Mill Street – Marks and Spencers)
1825 Methven Parish Church additions
1829 Arngask Manse
1831 Cargill Church (Kinnaird Manse)
1832 Kinfauns School
1834 St. Leonard’s Church (Lindsay Burns Auctioneer)
1836 County and City Infirmary; Exchange Coffee Rooms (Gillies/Camerons George Street)
1838 Over Kinfauns Farmhouse (Dron Manse)
1839 Liff Church, Angus
1840 Clunie Church; Kinfauns Parish Church alterations
1842 Triumphal Arch for Queen Victoria’s Visit (Princes Street)
1844 Old City Hall, Perth (Demolished 1901)
1845 Kinloch Manse
1846 Elcho Castle Farmhouse
1846 Public Baths and Wash Houses, Mill Street
1847 Couper Angus Manse
In 1839/40 he did alterations and restoration work to Perth Burgh Chambers, High Street.
He is buried in Greyfriars Burial Ground.